The Clayton County HUD Programs administers a variety of programs funded by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The County became an Entitlement community in 1998 and since then has received over $48.8 million. Annually the HUD Programs is awarded an average of 2.7 million dollars, which is then made available to county agencies, nonprofit organizations, municipalities and other entities serving low- to moderate-income residents. HUD-funded projects are intended to address the following County objectives:
- Decent Housing— Ensuring the provision of decent, safe and sanitary housing options for low- and moderate income households.
- Affordable Housing – Increasing access to affordable housing for low- and moderate income households.
- Suitable Living Environments– Improving the safety and livable of neighborhoods for low- and moderate income persons.
- Community Development –To acquire, construct, or rehabilitate public facilities; provide equipment purchased for public service activities; or provide overall program administration and management resulting in improvements in the social, economic, and physical environment for low- and moderate-income individuals and/or households.
- Homeless Prevention – Increasing shelter and housing options for homeless or near homeless individuals and families. Prevent homelessness through case management and rent/utility assistance.
- Economic Development–Promoting economic development for the benefit of low- and moderate-income communities and households through the provision of job creation and retention.
Under these guidelines projects that have been implemented include but are not limited to:
- Infrastructure Improvements
- Homeless Shelter and Transitional Housing Operations
- Youth Development and Enrichment Opportunities
- Park Renovations
- Homeownership Down Payment Assistance
- Essential Home Repairs for Seniors, Veterans and Disabled Persons
- Rent and Utility Assistance
- Slum and Blight Removal
The HUD Programs provides management and oversight for the following grants: